16 March 2011

Getting On With Life

My life has been very hectic lately, with many unexpected events consuming much of my time and energy. So the focus has moved away from Henry’s hearing. But that’s life. We committed everything we had to Henry over the last couple of months, however this couldn’t be sustained forever, nor would you want it to. We need a balance. We need to move on with life. That’s not to say we have lost any of our dedication towards our quest for a Hearing Henry. We will keep doing everything we can, giving him every opportunity. Henry’s particular hearing needs form a cornerstone of both our day-to-day life and our long term plans for the future. However there are other elements too and these will jostle for attention at different times, each requiring a different level of focus as circumstances change and time moves on.

We are still in Sydney, so still in the intense mapping and therapy stage of Henry’s journey. However the appointments are just becoming a way of life. I have been learning the Auditory Verbal Therapy techniques for eight months now, so hopefully I am becoming better at incorporating them into my everyday life. I know there are many things I do now which have just become second nature, which is how you want it.

When Henry first got his CIs, I looked and saw my little boy with his new CIs who could now hear and I was so excited. When we went out to a coffee shop, or the park, I wanted to show everyone. I didn’t- but if anyone showed the slightest interest, I jumped at the opportunity to tell them all about it. Now, when I look, I just see my gorgeous little Henry, I don’t even see his CIs. Sometimes when people walk past us they stop and do a double take, have another look. And I think, yes my children are so cute! And then a minute or two later it occurs to me that they were probably looking at his CIs!

No comments:

Post a Comment