07 February 2011

New motivation

Henry- Oh, so this toy makes noise!!
We have renewed energy and motivation to work hard teaching Henry to listen and talk, now that we know he can hear us. It has been really hard over the past six months, learning the techniques of AVT and ‘practicing’ with him so that we were in the habit by the time he could hear. It is pretty disheartening talking to your baby when he clearly cannot hear a word you are saying. But all that has changed now.
Reading books to Henry has taken on a whole new dimension. I used to choose touchy-feely books and really focus on the visual and tactile aspects of the books. I didn’t stop reading to Henry, because I knew how important it was for him to become familiar with books and the process of reading, but certainly some of the joy of reading is missing when your child can’t hear you! Today we had a completely different experience. Sure, I knew he didn’t understand me, but it’s just so rewarding to think that he can hear me now and over time the words will start to have meaning. Singing too is SO much better now that Henry can hear me!! I was singing to Imogen and Henry today and, in the past Henry used to be completely bored by the whole experience, but today (and I might have just been imagining it, because it is quite early) he seemed to feel the energy of the whole experience and was much more engaged.
Imogen has picked up on our lead remarkably. She narrates her actions to Henry (now Henry, I am cutting up mushrooms, see these are the mushrooms, see Henry....), she points out new sounds (did you hear that Henry, that was me banging the table, hear that?), she reads to him (admittedly getting frustrated very easily when he tries to eat the book rather than listening!) and she proudly explains and shows off his CIs to new people. Henry is very lucky to have her as a big sister.

Me and my little angel Immi

1 comment:

  1. She's a brilliant big sister! Wait until he gets home to all his other "Sisters," hopefully he can get over "That's not my Fairy," and get a new favourite book now!

    ReplyDelete