09 September 2011

Quiet


From the moment Henry wakes up in the morning, til when he goes to bed at night, I talk;  I commentate, I label, I read, I play games, I sing, I do not stop talking.  I know that to have the best chance of developing speech and language, Henry needs to hear the language- often.
But every afternoon we go to the pool for an hour.  I take off his CIs when we arrive at the pool (which can’t get wet) and stop talking and it’s such a relief!  I give myself, and Henry, a break, and just enjoy the water, the quiet.  Although, my quiet is not the same as Henry’s quiet.

Of course I wish with all my heart that Henry could hear at the pool, but I know how lucky we are that he can hear the majority of the time and it always makes me appreciate that a little bit more when I experience how difficult it is communicating with him without sound.  People say to me, oh kids don’t need to hear at the pool, they just swim!  But Henry can’t swim and I’m finding it quite difficult to teach him without the benefit of words.  I sign ‘kick’ to him, and he signs it back, so proud, thinking that that’s the game- like giving high five, look, I can copy you.  But I don’t want him to sign it, I want him to do it!!!  Watching Imogen’s swim lesson yesterday, the teacher didn’t stop talking, kick your legs, face in the water, blow bubbles; all things I need to teach Henry somehow.  But, you know, it’s just a small hurdle.  Yes, it makes it a little bit harder, but some kids hate the water, every child needs to be taught in their own way, in the way that suits them best. 

And at the moment, I am not too focussed on the swimming thing.  Right now I am just letting Henry enjoy the water, and allowing both of us to enjoy the break from my voice.

1 comment:

  1. We got a private teacher for Jack. He now swims like a fish. He is also a motor mouth x

    ReplyDelete